Sams House at Pine Island and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church will once again partner for Pioneer Day on February 7, 2015.
Download Schedule of Events here.
Pioneer Day is a FREE event at Sams House at Pine Island (suggested donation of $1 per car for parking). Events are ongoing from 10 am to 4 pm and include:
- Living History Demonstrations and Educational Exhibits (including Confederate Sons Association, Florida History Display, Central Florida Fossils, Florida Public Archeology Network, Florida Wildlife Hospital, and Brevard Museum of History and Science)
- Crafts Fair and Farmer’s Market (including Better by Candlelight, Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation, Coiled Vessels by Teresa Camarata, Mrs. Mango & Company, Natural Blessings, Nonna’D’s Olive Pit, Spade & Trowel Garden Club, The Coastal Marketplace, The Dip Gourmet, and The Green Marketplace)
- Historic House and Cabin Tours by guides in period clothing
- Display of Sams Family Artifacts and Historic Clothing
- Florida Folk Music by Chris Kahl (12:30 to 2:30) and Celery City String Band (11:00 to 12:30 and 2:30 to 4:00)
- Children’s Crafts and Games
- Guided Hikes
- Food by Slow & Low Bar-b-que
- Guided hikes
The Center is located at 6195 N. Tropical Trail in Merritt Island, ½ mile west of SR 3 and 5 miles north SR 528. For more information, call 321-449-4720.
This year, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church will focus on “Industry of Merritt Island Pioneers”. Events are from 10 am to 4 pm and are free, unless otherwise noted. An old fashioned fish fry will follow. Tickets may be purchased prior to the event by calling 321-452-5260.
- On-going Self-guided Historic Chapel and Cemetery Tours
- 10:30 Presentation on Merritt Island’s Cow Hunters – Bud Crisafulli
- 12:00 Homemade soups ($5)
- 1:00 to 4:00 Cemetery tours with Molly Thomas, Historic Preservation of Cemeteries
- 1:00 Bittersweet: the Story of Indian River Citrus in Brevard – Jeff Thompson
- 3:oo Major Tifin – Merritt Island’s Pioneer Captain of Industry? – Ostrich farm, Hotelier, Steamship line
- Evening: Fish Fry Dinner (advance purchase tickets required)
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church is located at 5555 N. Tropical Trail in Merritt Island, just 1.1 miles south of Sams House at Pine Island. Tickets for the Fish Fry go on sale January 8th by calling 321-452-5260.
Pioneer Day is held near the birthday of John Sams, a citrus-grower and the first Superintendent of Brevard County Schools. Mr. Sams built the oldest standing home in Brevard County (circa 1875). The Sams Cabin is now a museum within the 1,000-acre Pine Island Conservation Area, which is owned and operated by the Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program. Mr. Sams also helped to build St. Luke’s Chapel in 1888 and is buried in the church cemetery.
Like us on www.facebook.com/pioneerdaymerrittisland